Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hemingway's library


Libraries are great! Being a public school teacher, I have visited my school library on many occasions, but I haven't been to a public library in a while. I went today in search of bilingual children's books for a student who doesn't speak one word of English, and some drama duos and monologues for my forensics team. I hit pay dirt with the Spanish literature, not so good with the drama. It seems all the monologues were not "age appropriate". The librarians were helpful and knowledgeable. The library was inviting and well lit (reminding me of a Clean Well-Lighted Place). This brought back memories of when I was a kid and would trek to the library, a mile away, on boring summer days, or visiting Grandma is the summer (where my husband will contest is the HOTTEST place on Earth) and sitting in the air conditioning reading and playing board games with my cousins. AWWWWW nostalgia! I'm glad my children were as exciting about the outing as I was. Even my thirteen year old was excited about the possibility of checking out "music".

"Like CD's?" I asked.
"No, like books of sheet music!" he replied.

Duh, MOM, you know you have a little Mozart on your hands. Alyssa was winning over all the library staff, too. She helped the library's security officer clean up the children's section. She beamed the whole time and received accolades from the librarians when she finally approached the check out desk. Over all it was a nice way to spend the evening. Next outing the MUSEUM!

1 comment:

fotoboyart said...

Yes libraries and museums ARE cool. I still love both. I get to work in a wonderful fine art museum for my work-study here at VCU. I spend hours in our library "wasting" time reading about stuff that has nothing to do with my studies.

You would find this interesting, Mon. I purchased a set of Spanish language Walt Disney kid's books from the 50's at an estate sale a couple of years ago. They are so worn they have little collector value, but the owner was an Anglo teacher from San Diego.

Most of her students didn't speak any English when they came into her classes. I look at them sometimes and try to imagine all the years of children who read those stories, and all the lives that she touched and difference she must have made for at least some of them.

When I think about the people who had the most positive impact on my life three of the top six or so were teachers. Yeah, teachers are cool. They should be treated like celebrities, but then I guess you'd have a lot more shallow, vapid people wanting to be teachers.